Sunday, February 3, 2013

SUPER MADNESS DAY!


SUPER MADNESS
 Johann Wagener 2-3-13

What is it about watching a bunch of tattooed emblazoned over grown men, pumped up on steriods, running up and down a field chasing a ball, and scrambling their brains in the process,  that gets Americans so excited?  How did that become the “great American pastime”?

I know I’ll get into trouble for asking this question. I’ll hear, “Hey! Don’t mess with my football” just like I heard, “don’t mess with my guns” when I questioned the popularity of killing people.
On the other hand, a question unasked, is a question that will never be answered. And, believe it or not, there are plenty of people, including the players who want some answers;

read it here: http://www.pri.org/stories/arts-entertainment/nfl-faces-class-action-lawsuit-from-thousands-of-former-players-12846.html

There might be rational arguments on both sides, but I would think we could all agree that making money (up to $3,600.00 as seat for today’s spectacle) and calling it “family entertainment” is pushing the envelope on morality a bit.  After all, aren’t we a civilized society that respects life? Aren't we the one’s who want to even protect an embryo from harm? How does that make any sense if we make so much hay about football considering all the people it damages?  It’s sort of schizoid, don’t you think?

Let me end on a conciliatory note; I know that there plenty of football fans who just love the game and feel bad about the damage it may cause to some of their heroes.  They just want to enjoy the game. In fact, so much so, that they have been good at just ignoring the damage and just focused on the game.  That’s more difficult to do now that the cat is out of the bag and many of the players and their families are crying “foul.”

So, here’s a suggestion. How about playing a good old fashioned game of all American “Flag” football?  I remembered playing the game as a kid. It was fun, and other than a few skin burns and being out of breath, I came out of the game unscathed. I looked it up on Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_football and it looks like nothing has changed, other than maybe fewer people are playing or watching it these days.  The rules are a little different. For example, there’s “no tackling” but then that’s a good thing, isn’t it? Just think how many more of our heroes in tights could live out their lives without needing to be spoon-fed. Other than that the game is pretty much the same; there’s a bunch of pumped up guys, a ball, a referee or two, a field and bleachers, and a few fans that are still enjoying the game. Oh! And a flag.

All that’s missing is the broken bones, bruised muscles, and scrambled brains. So, what do you say, football fans? Let’s play!

Now, for those who might be balking and thinking, “that’s no fun” I think they should take a breath and think about what it is they really “love” about the game. If it’s what I think, then I’d suggest they think about making an appointment with a mental health professional which, by the way is the same advice I gave to the gun “lovers” who just couldn’t have any fun with the gun unless it could mow down at least 20 people in under a minute. 

If this is what we call “great American pastimes”  I suggest that we  do a little soul searching on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment