Wednesday, February 27, 2013

THE 2ND COMMANDMENT

After reading an article in the LA Times; 

The pontiff dressed to reflect the beauty of the faith.

February 17, 2013|By Charlotte Allen
It got me to thinking about how far we have strayed from the path that God (Jesus) laid out for us. Especially when it comes to what we idealize; hero worship for lack of a better label. I went to the Christian version of the Constitution; the 10 Commandments, to do some comparisons on how we behave and the code of conduct we were given from up above; in this case the 2nd Commandment which reads;
"You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me. But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands."

Then I looked at a few pictures to help me put a face on what I believe Christianity represents.

the lost sheep      Mother Teresa   Twitter trolls attack the Pope!

WHO WOULD YOU PICK?


This then got me to wondering how Ms. Allen,followers of the "wealth based" branch of Christianity reconcile their beliefs with the Commandments. Praising the leader of the Catholic church for the way he dresses rather than his "works" which in this case are questionable, seems misguided and naive. And, if we believe in the Commandments, the path we are on spells nothing but doom and gloom for our children, and their children. Maybe it's time to reset our "moral compass."


Pope Benedict XVI, the pontiff of aesthetics

No comments:

Post a Comment