Thursday, January 31, 2013

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY


A SHIP OF FOOLS
Johann Wagener 1-31-13 

I’m sure you've heard that old saying, “the inmates have the keys to the asylum.”  Well, I think it’s much worse than that. From the way things are going in this country I think the inmates have literally torn the walls of the asylum down and there’s no way of knowing who needs to be in or out.

Fortunately you can still spot some of them, when they say things like;

Corporations are people with the same rights as we have. To which I reply; Oh yeah! When was the last time you sat down and had a beer with a “corporation.”?

Or
Embryos are people. To which I reply; Oh yeah! Does that mean I can claim an embryo on my tax return? Should I get them a social security number?

Or
Guns don’t kill people. To which I reply;  Uh? Then how do we explain the 20 bullet ridden children that died in Newtown? Were they struck by lightning? Or stabbed, or strangled? How were their lives taken from them?

Or
Humans don’t cause climate change. To which I reply; Try explaining that one to the folks in Beijing choking on fumes belching from their SUV’s.  It wasn’t that long ago, that most of them rode bikes, and smog was just a word.  

Or (this is one of my favorites)
A daily report on “network news” by a guy with a seductive voice who tells me about a pill that can get my attention when “the time is right.” In the foreground there’s this surreal “jungle” scene of a man & woman holding hands and sitting in separate bathtubs, (I’m assuming here) waiting for the right time. Sort of a 21st Century “Adam & Eve.” In the background the announcer is firing off, in rapid succession, a long list of “side-effects” one of which is an “untimely” and painful 4 hour or longer erection which is then the “right time” to dial 911. .  

I’m sure you get the point (excuse the pun).

There are plenty more examples, but I start getting a really bad head ache thinking about it because I just can’t get my head around the logic or rationale. It reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. Croquet anyone?  Or Dorothy in OZ skipping down the Yellow Brick Road with Tin man, Scarecrow, and that cute Lion. Heading off to the voting booth? 

I find myself questioning if this is really happening or am I imagining and exaggerating? 

Is a woman impregnated by a rapist being “blessed by God”? Really? (the headache get's much worse here) 

Or, are we being played?

Are we fools?

No comments:

Post a Comment