Thursday, November 14, 2013

MAYBE IT'S TIME?

NOT THE END-OF-DAYS
Johann Wagener 11-14-13

I'll leave that one to the experts to figure out.

I'm just referring to "holidays", that are beginning to change into "shopping" days.
I looked up the words in the dictionary and found that these 2 words are completely unrelated to each other. Just couldn't find anything about shopping when it came to holidays.

Neither did I find Black Friday to be synonymous with Good Friday.

Now, I know that there are those who believe that shopping is really a cure for what ails you. THre are those who, in the days right after 9/11 thought President Bush's idea to "go out and shop" was a great idea; especially Wall Street fans.

There were also those who were relieved their malls didn't get hit; as disturbing as that might be. I admit that was a traumatic event and taking one's mind of of it was probably the right thing to do. But in a shopping mall? Not so sure.

Which is why, and idiot like myself, to ask. Why exactly am I being coaxed to shop at Walmart, Target, Sears, Best Buy, Macy's, JCP, and a slew of other big stores I don't want to think about right now.

Is Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, Labor Day, the 4th, Memorial day, even Mother's day, a 9/11 event?
Are these days so traumatic that I need to head off to the mall to put my mind at ease?

Is there any day on the calendar that is not a "shopping day"? Just 1? How about February 29th?

The day my mom died, maybe. But then I have much more respect for her and actually don't mind feeling the pain of loss when it comes to someone I love.

So, come on. Tell me what it is that shopping on a day I got off work (unless I work at one of the retailers I listed) from to spend with friends and family going to do to pump up my bottom line?

Maybe it's time to re-think this shopping holiday thing. Don't you "think"?




No comments:

Post a Comment