In a move that should get the attention of everyone from Homeland Security to the so far slumbering MPAA, cyberterrorists took a nasty turn in this Sony hacking scandal by invoking 9/11 and threatening possible attacks in theaters showing The Interview. The bottom of the message indicates that the Christmas Gift is aimed at Sony chief Michael Lynton. The hacked emails served up by websites so far have focused on dialogue involving Amy Pascal. Here’s the missive, essentially a cover letter to a new pile of plundered documents:
"We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places “The Interview” be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.
Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.
The world will be full of fear.
Remember the 11th of September 2001.
We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.
(If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)
Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.
All the world will denounce the SONY."
Granted the guy is not well liked around most of the globe but using him to set a precedent that promotes these so-called fictional films that sanction violence towards "non-fiction" characters. It is not only in poor taste but dim-witted since it insults the millions of his followers, much like the cartoons of Mohamed insulted the Muslim community. Neither of which were amused and both of which has created a shit storm and endangering the lives of others who, unlike Sony, have nothing to gain.
The biggest theater chains in the U.S. decided not to show Sony Pictures Entertainment’s The Interview on its planned opening night, Dec. 25, following terror threats posted online Tuesday by a group that claims it was also behind the massive hack that leaked internal Sony documents. Sony responded to the move by canceling the planned Christmas release of the film.
Regal Entertainment Group, AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc., Cinemark Holdings Inc., and Carmike Cinemas Inc. backed out on showing the film after Sony Pictures announced on Tuesday it “wouldn’t object” to them doing so. The companies planned to wait to air the movie until after the completion of a federal investigation into the cyberattack on Sony and the terrorist threats that followed it, according to a Wall Street Journal source.
The Interview follows two journalists, played by Seth Rogen and James Franco, who work with the CIA to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. The Wall Street Journal reported that government and corporate investigators believe the hackers are “associated with North Korea.” Deadline reports that the threat read in part, “Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made. The world will be full of fear. Remember the 11th of September 2001.”
On Tuesday the Department of Homeland Security said the threats against movie theaters were not credible, according to the Wall Street Journal.
These four chains alone make up a huge portion of American theaters. From the Wall Street Journal:
Together, the four chains control more than 18,000 of North America’s approximately 40,000 movie screens. Carmike, the fourth-largest U.S. theater chain with more than 2,000 screens, told Sony yesterday that it wouldn’t play the movie, according to people familiar with the matter.